Participants will stay in the same dormitories used by Stanford undergraduates during the normal school year – please note that these residences do not have air conditioning. Each room has a bed and a desk. Below are lists of items to bring and not to bring to the Summer Institutes.
What to Bring
- Clothing for temperatures ranging from 50 to 90 degrees F (15 to 35 degrees C)
- A cell phone or calling card Bathing suit, sunscreen, and beach towel for field trips
- Spending money for extra activities and shopping
- All personal beauty, health, and toiletry items
- A desk lamp, small portable fan (residences do not have air conditioning), alarm clock, hair dryer, and shower shoes are recommended. (These items may be purchased at the Stanford Bookstore.)
- If desired, personal academic supplies (Summer Institutes will provide paper and all course materials)
- If desired, a laptop computer or tablet
- If desired, musical instruments, books, board games, personal sports equipment If desired, an MP3 player or other portable music device and headphones
- If desired, a USB drive or other device for saving computer files
- If desired, any special equipment or materials needed for participation in the Talent Show, such as dance shoes, musical instruments, sheet music, juggling pins, etc.
What Not To Bring
- NO weapons of any kind, including knives, firearms, paintball guns, laser pointers, and other dangerous items
- NO alcohol, tobacco products, or any unauthorized drugs or medications – violators of this policy will be subject to immediate dismissal
- NO flammable materials, including candles, incense, matches, lighters, fireworks, or explosive devices NO handheld electronic games, software for computer games, or televisions
- NO personal transportation, including cars, bicycles, skates, or skateboards
- NO pets of any kind
- NO cooking or kitchen appliances, such as refrigerators, microwave or toaster ovens, or hot plates
- NO valuable personal items (the Summer Institutes take no responsibility for lost or stolen items)
- Laundry supplies are not necessary, as free laundry facilities and detergent are provided.
- Sheets, blankets, and bath towels are not necessary, because bedding and towels are provided as part of a weekly cleaning service.